Our Turn Update (Oct-Dec)
Remember all those emails you received from Harris Creek regarding the initial launch of the OUR TURN campaign? Guess what?!? Now you can see a quick overview of the campaign conversation that took place between October and December, forever preserved for posterity through our blog.
“OUR TURN” CAMPAIGN – Update (10/19/2015)
Dear Church Family,
The convergence of multiple “God-sized” endeavors has us believing that this really is a historic time in the life of our church. Because it’s such an important season for Harris Creek, we are asking you to please make every effort to be at one of our corporate worship services each weekend over the remaining five weeks of this initiative. We rarely get opportunities to engage in a conversation like the one we are having now, and I would hate for you to miss out on what God is doing in and through our church family.
We have no doubt God is up to something big in the days ahead. We truly believe this is a “make or break” season for Harris Creek, and we hope you will join us on this exciting journey as we do whatever it takes to bring people to Jesus.
“OUR TURN” CAMPAIGN – Update (11/2/2015)
This Sunday is Baptism Sunday, and we couldn’t be more excited about it. We have 20 people that are going to be baptized, which is amazing! This brings the total number of people baptized to 57 in the last calendar year. I continue to be amazed by all that God is doing in the lives of our people. The stories of transformation and testimonies of God’s faithfulness are some of the most inspiring moments we get to experience as a church family. The other unique feature of this Baptism Sunday is that we get another opportunity to worship together as a church family under one roof.
Finally, keep in mind that we will have a vote after the service for all covenant members in order to move forward with the expansion of our Sunwest Campus as part of the “Our Turn” campaign. There will not be a time for Q&A, so please refer to your booklet and the expanded FAQ page of the “Our Turn” webpage. If you have any additional questions, you can reach out by emailing email@example.com.
I want to close by saying thank you for the overwhelming response of excitement and anticipation regarding this vision. We are already seeing incredible sacrifices being made by so many to make this vision a reality. As we reach the halfway point of this portion of the campaign, let’s remember the Apostle Paul’s words in Galatians 6:9-10: “May we never tire of doing what is good and right before our Lord because in His season we shall bring in a great harvest if we can just persist. So seize any opportunity the Lord gives you to do good things and be a blessing to everyone, especially those within our faithful family.
“OUR TURN” CAMPAIGN – UPDATE (11/17/2015)
I want to update you on some important information and remind you of the importance of this next weekend for our congregation.
First, on Sunday we were able to share the results of the congregational vote on the “Our Turn” initiative; an overwhelming 95% of our people voted “yes” to move forward with the project. That number is staggering in the best possible way. As I said on Sunday, it truly is an answered prayer because only the Spirit of God can create that type of unity amongst a group as large and diverse as Harris Creek.
I also previewed the crucial steps in front of us, beginning with “Commitment Sunday” this weekend (November 22). Please take time to listen to or watch the message and stay informed if you were unable to attend worship this last weekend. I will reiterate that we need 100% participation in this event from our congregation. Very specifically, that means I am asking two things of you: (1) We need everyone to make it a priority to attend corporate worship this weekend. (2) We need everyone to fill out a commitment card and bring it to the service you attend. This is vital so that we can make wise decisions and determine how fast we can move forward with the expansion process. We will have a disarming way for every single person, even first-time guests who are clearly not prepared or expected to contribute, to respond so that everyone can participate. If you need help filling out a card, we put together a video as a resource for you. If you have any additional questions after watching the video, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our staff and ask for help.
What we get to do this weekend is rare and is a moment few get to experience in this life. I would go as far as to say that this Sunday is the single most important moment when it comes to shaping and defining the immediate future of our church. It is an honor and privilege that we get to be involved in a movement of this magnitude. I look forward to celebrating the fruit of our collective hard work and sacrifice with you on Sunday!
“OUR TURN” CAMPAIGN – UPDATE (12/3/2015)
I wanted to update you on the “Our Turn” campaign, once again, because we need to make sure everyone stays informed as much as possible. I’ll give you the short version first, and then an extended version so you can have as much information as you need to help us reach our goals:
- COMMITMENT CARDS: We need 100% involvement with this campaign, so if you haven’t turned in a commitment card, please do so as soon as possible
- BIG GIVE SUNDAY: This Sunday is our “Big Give” Sunday, where we are asking you to bring any up-front monetary gifts to give to the project
COMMITMENT CARDS: As I said last Sunday, we knew that not everyone would be ready to participate on Commitment Sunday. However, the number of people who are still praying was larger than we anticipated. We are hoping to see 100% of people who call Harris Creek home make a commitment, so please consider doing so soon if you have yet to do so. You can make a commitment online or turn in a card on Sunday.
BIG GIVE SUNDAY: Whether you are able to provide a cash gift out of savings or you have a stored asset you have committed to the campaign, we are asking for any up-front gifts to be brought this Sunday. This will help us get in a more favorable position to secure financing and move forward with the expansion of our Sunwest Campus. We would love to see this Sunday be the single biggest offering ever received at Harris Creek. If you are going to be out of town, you can contribute online or through text-to-give by texting “give” to (254) 232-1664.
I look forward to seeing you at one of our upcoming services. Have a great weekend!
“OUR TURN” CAMPAIGN – UPDATE (12/21/2015)
This is going to be a fairly lengthy email with a lot of data; we thought it was important for our congregation to have an accurate assessment of the information regarding the “Our Turn” campaign.
The approach I am going to take is to give you a breakdown of the numbers we believe are most important and the ones that you are probably most interested to hear. Underneath each piece of data, I have provided some commentary to help bring some context to these numbers. Here is a breakdown of the results of the “Our Turn” campaign as of 12/17/15:
- The overall amount of expanded giving pledged on Commitment Cards was $2,298,529
- This is roughly 80% (79.25% to be exact) of our goal of $2.9 million.
- We have reason to believe that the $600,000 gap will shrink over the next two years with people contributing that did not initially make a commitment, new people joining our church, and people being able to expand their giving beyond what they forecasted in October.
- If this number remained exactly where it is right now, this would put us at a debt service ratio of 27% based on our 2015 budget. For some perspective, Harris Creek had a debt service ratio of 35% when we originally built our Sunwest Campus in 2007.
- The overall amount received from our “Big Give Sunday” was $655,000
- This is a huge number, well beyond what we were hoping for or expecting. We were told that a typical campaign sees anywhere between 3-20% in upfront giving. This is actually 29% of the amount pledged. All I can say is thank you!
- We received an additional $58,000 on “Big Give Sunday” that was not already on a commitment card. This evidence suggests we will see more people participate even though they did not fill out a card over the next 24 months.
- We had 393 individuals and/or families participate in the “Our Turn” campaign
- This, again, was a number that shattered our expectations. We were hoping to see 265 participants in the campaign. To exceed that number by over 100 individuals and/or families is incredible! This is a clear indicator that there was massive buy-in from our congregation.
- We had 182 individuals and/or families making a commitment for the first time
- This is the number we are most excited about because of the implications it has on our congregation’s growth in the area of discipleship. When you add the 182 participants that are “first-time givers” to the 58 that were “occasional givers,” we have 240 individuals and/or families taking the step to become “intentional givers” through this process.
- The total amount pledged from the 182 first-time givers is $394,000 over the next two years. That is an average of $2,100+ over the next two years for each individual or family giving for the first time to Harris Creek. Amazing!
As I said yesterday, we want our congregation to know that we hear you loud and clear. To have this high of participation and that amount of money given up front is astounding. To not go forward with this project is unthinkable with that kind of response from our people. That is why we are making plans to move forward with the expansion portion of the campaign starting in early 2016.
For those wondering what that will look like, we are planning to take a few steps as soon as the new year gets underway. First, we will work diligently to select a lending institution/bank in early 2016 in order to secure financing for the expansion project. We’ve already had in-depth conversations with five local banks, and we hope to select a partner in this arena as quickly as we can. We are also planning to ask for the next phase of documents from our architect. This may require some minor adjustments being made, but we will look to get these documents as soon as we can. The goal is to break ground in the summer of 2016 in order to give us the best chance to be in the new facility by August of 2017. This will require a lot of work and energy, but I believe we are up to the task.
I want to close by encouraging you to be optimistic about the results of this campaign. I believe our congregation gave a valiant effort, and you should be commended for the sacrifices you made to make this happen. Obviously there is still work to be done, and we understand what it’s going to take to see this vision through to completion. However, there is also a lot that should cause us to pause and celebrate. I hope we are not so goal-oriented that we miss the joy that is right in front of us, because there is a lot of good in the data above. I hope you have a Merry Christmas, and I look forward to seeing everyone back together as we begin a new year and a new chapter in the history of our church.